COVID has impacted many aspects of our daily lives, and for our 2020 clients, it has completely derailed plans of larger celebrations this year, with reschedules moving into 2021. For couples looking to start planning their 2021 nuptials might want to consider a micro wedding in 2020.
What is a micro wedding? This new trending term refers to weddings under 20 guests, and can include anything from a simple ceremony with a champagne toast to a full private dinner. Micro weddings usually include a photographer, music, officiant, rentals, flowers, invites (digital or paper!), and attire. Depending on final logistics, food + drinks (with food service safety in place!) become part of the planning.
Why consider a micro wedding?
- With a shorter guest list comes extreme savings on everything from food to rentals, which is one huge advantage of rocking with a micro wedding this year. This means the florist you thought you wouldn’t be able to afford is now in budget.
- And maybe the photographer that wasn’t available on your prime wedding date is now ready to shoot your celebration as many couples have rescheduled their celebrations.
- Shorter planning timeline! Enough said.
- A smaller guest count opens up ceremony location options - cliffside overlooking the Pacific ocean anyone?
Tips for a micro wedding in COVID times:
- Safety first! We still encourage social distancing and safety measures, such as masks, hand sanitizer, and outdoor only events. You want to make sure that your intimate group, including vendors, feel comfortable.
- Check with your county about issuance of marriage licenses. Some counties have shorter court house hours and limited services.
- Check with your county about social gathering mandates and plan accordingly.
- Get creative! A smaller group allows you major flexibility with location, menu, photos, and overall structure.
Small celebrations are not new for us. 35% of our weddings are either guest counts under 50 or elopements. Whether it’s just the couple and the officiant, or 10 of the closest family and friends, we’ve helped source location, permits, and all the necessary elements for marrying your person in an intimate gathering. If you’re considering saying I Do this year, reach out - we’d love to chat with you about your needs and share our insight.
Check out this sweet elopement from ShellDance Garden in Pacifica. Beautifully shot by Kreate Photography, stunning flowers by Bewilder, gorgeous beauty by Marisa Perel, and dress from Wild Bride.